Sunday, March 29, 2009

Cables

I brought the primed body home to tweak a few more spots before color and clear. Some spot filler is getting added to various spot welding dents all over the joints. I am also using the opportunity to replace the cables and wiring harness before I put on the last primer, color, and clear.

The cables to the headset installed relatively easily. I didn't pull the old cables without first attaching them to the new ones. I then pulled the old ones out though the top which pulled the new ones right along. The wiring harness is another story. Still working on it.

Also, the rear brake cable didn't pull out. When pulling harder, it uncoiled as it came out. The coil came out but the plastic sheath and the ferrule stayed in the tube. I used a coathanger wire in a drill to pick out a bunch of the sleeve. I tried some allthread but it won't snake around the corner inside the tube. I got a small plumming snake from the hardware store. It is just the right size. I put it in the drill and pushed it down the tube. It hooked onto something in the tube, but woudn't pull anything out . I still have about 6" of junk in the tube. I'm glad I didn't do this before the paint but wish I had done this before the primer. Maybe some heat would help remove the sheath.I'm going to work it some more, but if it's fully jammed in there, I may shorten the new cable sleeve to accomodate all the junk in there.

No comments: